The Number One Most Important Thing You Should Do When You Move into a New Home...A House Clearing
Updated: Nov 24, 2019
Considering the fact that we've moved 7 times in the last 12 years, (1. Yes, that is not a typo. 2. No, we are not a military family 3. Yes, we live in California where the real estate market is CRAY CRAY), it would make you think I'm a bit of an expert at the whole moving process, but there has been one crucial thing I've been neglecting that I had no idea I should be doing! I finally did it for the very first time, and realized that it is as important or maybe MORE important than how you unpack and organize your new place, so I've just gotta share with you!
I highly recommending doing...
A HOME BLESSING and HOUSE ENERGY CLEARING...
Honestly, it was such a powerful experience, and I wish I would have done it in every home we've lived in!
So if you are thinking of moving, or know someone who is, be sure to pass along this little bit of wisdom. I promise (Girl Scout Honor ), that you'll be so glad you did!
(Note: The links in this post are Amazon affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links at no cost to you. Read our full disclaimer policy here.)
I can already hear a few objectors out there...
That's sounds like some weird New Age mumbo jumbo...
I don't have any extra money to pay for that, I just paid the movers!...
Do I need a Minister or a Shaman...I don't know anyone to do that
Yikes - Sounds time consuming and I'm still unpacking...
I've got way too many other things that need to be done, heck I haven't even found my box of underwear yet!
Listen, I completely understand your concerns because I had the exact same thoughts until I was gifted with a free home blessing by a friend. After my recent experience, I will now never move again without doing a home blessing. I think it is that vital!
The best way I can put your worried mind at ease is to walk you through the process that we did at my new house. Keep in mind, there is no "right way" to do a home blessing, and the cool thing is that you can customize the process to fit whatever religious or non-spiritual beliefs you have.
So, let's dive right in, shall we?
Okay, I'm going to shoot it to you straight (like I always do)...before the woman arrived to do the energy clearing, I was a bit anxious. I really didn't know what to expect , and let's be candid, I get anxious about most things...unfortunately, it's my go-to emotion in new situations. (I'm a work in progress)
But once my friend and the home blesser "Darlyn" arrived (yes that's her name - pronounced like "Darling"- with an awesomely positive name like that, it couldn't be too scary right?) my nerves were put to ease. I could immediately tell she was warm and kind, and just had a loving and accepting vibe.
1. The very first thing we did after the introductions was to open all of the windows and doors in the entire house. It makes the energy clearing more thorough if you have a good flow of air in the home. Luckily for me, we have lots of windows and doors, and we are located on a hill so the air was really moving the day of the blessing. 💨
2. Secondly, Darlyn took a handbell (kind of like the ones an old school marm would ring 👵🏼) to each room to wake up the old, stuck stale energy in the house.
I'm sure you can use any kind of bell, gong, or chime to do the trick but I thought when I do this blessing again (Spoiler alert: which I will be doing!), I will use a meditation bell like this one because I love the way it looks. Don't ya think it has the whole "energy clearing" vibe all over it!
3. Next she stood inside the front door of our home and read a beautiful blessing that she brought printed copies of with her. (I've posted it below so you can use it as a template if you want!)
I joined in reading it aloud too, and at this point, I actually got a little teary. The words really touched me and it truly hit home just how important our "home space" is to our lives...it's our safe place, our haven, our refuge from a busy world. I just felt an overwhelming sense of what kind of place I hoped our new home would be...fun, inviting, carefree, inclusive...a sacred space for our family and friends.
Here is the Blessing that we read - I actually typed it up (and added our dog Harper, of course! 🐶 🐾) and now have it framed in the kitchen, essentially the heart of our home.
4. After we read the blessing, my friend had a little set comprised of a bundle of sage, matches/lighter, a feather, and an abalone shell that she used for this portion of the cleansing (similar to this set). She lit the sage and walked around every room of the downstairs, using the feather to disperse the smoke from the sage and the shell to catch any ashes. She was very diligent about getting the whole room well saged by keeping the smudge stick lit with plenty of smoke.
The interesting thing for me was that my friend paid special attention to the corners to be sure they were saged with extra smoke because according to Darlyn, energy can get caught easily in the corners. I guess I had never really thought about that before, but it definitely makes sense!
5. Lastly, after the smudging of each room, Darlyn rang the bell around each room of the downstairs again.
6. When we were done with the downstairs, it was time to duplicate the same process upstairs, starting the home blessing/prayer at the top of the staircase and repeating steps 1-5 again in every room and walkable space (closets, bathrooms, utility spaces, etc).
7. At that point the home blessing and energy clearing was complete, and I was encouraged to leave the windows and doors open for the rest of the day to keep the new energy flowing.
Honestly, the house blessing was such a great experience that really helped me feel like the home is now ours, and that there isn't any residual past energy lingering around. I so wish I would have tried it sooner, and will definitely recommend it to everyone I know!
How about you??
Have you ever done a home blessing similar to the one we did?
What did you think?
Did you incorporate anything else??
I'd love to hear all about it!! Spill all the deets!
Until next time...cheers to happy home energy and cheers to you! 🥂
P.S. Let's be MILF's Together! (Mom I'd Like to Friend)
…come find me online and let’s be virtual friends!